Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing #9, Library Blogs and Newsfeeds


I learned that people sure are blogging a lot about libraries. As I worked through the tools listed for this exercise, I found lots of feeds and blogs that were interesting. Some of my subscriptions now include: Joyce Valenza's NeverEndingSearch, the Shifted Librarian, Library Link of the Day, LibraryPlanet.com, School Library Journal, Unshelved, Blue Skunk Blog, and a few others.
I found Topix.net to be the least useful of the tools that I tried-even though I liked the fact that their "Advanced Search" allowed me to restrict by zip code. I had much better success using Blogdigger and Syndic8. I also found lots of stuff by using the Search screen in Google Reader, and also by typing in "RSS Feeds" into a basic Google Search. Although I stuck to library blogs and feeds for this post, I also found lots of good sites/blogs on topics of interest to middle school students and teachers.
It was easy to add subscriptions from all the sites, in fact it was so easy that it is hard not to oversubscribe.
Now that I know a little about RSS feeds, I see that although my fears of being swamped with information were unfounded, it would certainly be easy to get involved in more information than I have time to digest each day. I just hate it when moderation is the key.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I found a quote from an article by Joyce Valenza and Doug Johnson that I thought was great advice. They say-
"Practice the 'one in, one out' theory. Keep the number of blogs you are reading manageable by always deleting an old feed whenever you add a new one."

Of course this sounds suspiciously like what my husband says about my closet and I have yet to pull that off.