Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 6, Thing #14: Technorati


I was surprised to learn how many people are now blogging and how many new blogs are appearing each day. It is a little overwhelming. I can now see how it happens. I currently have this blog and I am just starting another one for my family. I am sure that in families with kids, everyone would want their own blog. And it is so easy that there is no reason not to inflict your life on the rest of the world.
This site certainly is an excellent way to keep up with the blogosphere (first time I have used that word), because, as the statistics show, there is a lot going on. I liked the way the site was set up with links to subject categories (politics, entertainment, sports). I liked exploring the Top 100 blogs list and the most popular blogs list.
After exploring a while, I joined and added some blogs to my favorites list (2 library and 2 politics) and tagged them. I spent quite a bit of time on political blogs and found that people are not shy about their likes and dislikes in this presidential election. I looked at blogs by popularity and by authority and saw several that I had heard about before, but hadn't seen before (Huffington Post and Media Matters).
It was also handy to have videos and photos listed as separate tabs.
I was unable to add my picture (avatar) to my profile--the help section told me that there is currently a problem with this. Searching in general went well.
I also noticed that my search screen was not the same as the one in the turorial I watched about new features, but I could do the searches I needed to do.
Technorati is a neat site with lots if interesting information, but is not one of my favorites so far.
I decided not to claim my blog at this time, but I will claim my family blog when it is ready for publication.

I see how important tagging is in Web 2.0 and it is starting to become a habit.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I had some similar challenges with Technorati and it is not my favorite either. I thought it was just me but am noticing by reading a few others comments in their blogs that many had some of the same issues that I did. It however is an interesting tool and I can see how it can be utilized.