Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 8, Thing #19: Library Thing

Library Thing has lots of information about books, and lots of opportunities to write and talk to others about books. I set up an account and added a few books. I used my avatar in my profile. This site had the easiest registration that I have run across. Now I can list and make notes about books that I have read. I can discuss these titles with others who have the books in their library. I can join in discussions about "Talk Topics" and can join groups such as "Librarians Who LibraryThing". My "local" tab lists bookstores in Fairbanks. It was easy to tag books, rate them, and comment on them. I can use this site at work to list books that I am booktalking, ordering, or thinking about ordering. I can also discuss purchases with other librarians who have a particular title, or I can pose a question for others to respond to. I like LibraryThing and expect to use it and tell others about it.
I added a Library Thing widget to my blog and also have added it to this post. For some reason the widget is only showing covers for 3 of the 5 books that I entered.
I noticed that my ratings were in line with other reviewers.
The "Zeitgeist" tab has some interesting information. I am sure that I will be using Library Thing at school and at home.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I have actually started using LT since this class started. I have written two reviews for books and used the comments from other readers to find a couple of great reads based on recommendations.

Ann