Thursday, July 17, 2008

Week 8, Thing #19.1: Digital Pipeline

Well, it looks like the statewide databases are going 2.0.
For this assignment I looked at all of the tutorials on the Digital Pipeline homepage (Introduction, Narrowing, Advanced, Viewing, Using, and 2 Accounts and Advanced features). I thought the tutorials were useful for users, but I found the male voice in these tutorials to be annoying. There is no excitement or interest in this voice, just a monotone that puts me to sleep. I did like the tutorial idea of searching for information on the gas pipeline.
I already had an Ebsco account so I signed in and did a little research about Wikipedia and saved the articles to a folder. I also used journal alerts and search alerts for the first time. I believe that I should spend some time with teachers showing them these features that can be useful for special searches and journals over the course of a year.
I really like "Consumer Health Complete". I searched for "skin cancer" since I visited the dermatologist last week. I found articles, pamphlets, diagrams, animations and videos on the subject. The tabs at the top of the Results screen made it easy to find drug information and alternative sources of information on my topic. Our Health teacher will really like this site. I know I will be using it for myself (next up for me, migrane headaches).
I found that School Library Journal is available for viewing on Ebsco, and I looked at the databases under "More". I did not know that LISTA was there (even though I was unable to log on to it from home).
And now, Ebsco 2.0. I watched the flash movie for the new features that are coming this month (?). The movie was so slow it was hard to watch, but the features are great. This is really a useful upgrade. Features I am looking forward to include: the simplified search screen with search options on a pulldown menu; the relevancy bar; the date slider will be fun for students to use; breadcrumb search capability; images, with preview and quick view; the preview article icon and the ability to add to folders from preview; cite button for citation help; and the similar article button. All of these features are improvements and should make student research easier.
I don't know what we would do at school without the statewide databases.

2 comments:

Ann said...

The upgrade to the search interface is overdue and is going to be GREAT when they get it up and running. I think it will be much more engaging and I hope that gets more people to use this fabulous resource that we have. It is terribly underutilized in Alaska.

Ann

Heather said...

I just used the databases, and the new 2.o is wonderful! You will have to visit it again. I am also looking forward to showing teachers the alert functions and hoping that I can integrate with a little bit of RSS and setting up a reader as well.