Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Week 9, Thing #22: ebooks/audio books

My first stop was the World eBook Fair. It was nice that we hit it during a free trial period. I used all of the searches available on this page: World eBook Fair, Internet Archive, eBooks about Everything, Project Gutenberg, and IMSLP. I searched by author, title, subject and had no trouble printing and saving books.. I looked at the "Browse Collections" button to see an A to Z list of collections available. I am a big fan of Project Gutenberg and I always enjoy checking out their Top 100 lists. I was surprised to be able to search for music on the IMSLP database.
I was most impressed by the LibriVox site. I loved being able to hear books read aloud by volunteers. I was able to download the etext of "Little Men" from the Gutenberg site and then go to LibriVox and have the text read to me as I followed along. I like the way you can subscribe to hear a chapter a day in iTunes for LibriVox books. LibriVox is a great site and I am tempted to volunteer my voice to them.
I also looked at "Best Places to Get Free Books". This is a large list of ways to get ebooks and to exchange real books. Several sites also do serialized daily downloads of books. This might be a good way to get in a little pleasure reading every day.
The last place I visited was the Noel Wien Public Library catalog to look at their list of audiobooks that are available for download. This collection has grown since last year and I am sure its popularity will continue.
I am still struggling to enjoy reading literature on a computer screen. The words are the same but something is different. Maybe a Kindle will change my mind. I do love the free access to materials that these sites are providing.

No comments: