Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week 9, Thing #23: Final Post

How I Spent My Summer Vacation
I wish I had kept track of the time I spent on this course. It was time well spent. I knew something about the 23 Things before starting this class, but I had never used most of them. The best part of RAW for me was actually using the tools to create stuff. Reading is no substitute for doing, and this class gave us the chance to do things.
The interconnectedness of Web 2.0 really needs to be experienced. Moving information between applications is usually simple and seamless. I love the fact that all you need is internet access and a browser to take part in Web 2.0--no costly or extra software.
I thought that the class was well organized and sequential. The Discovery exercises and resources were a good way to learn about our topic. And I learned a lot from reading the blogs of other people in the class--and being able to leave comments for them. I read a lot of good ideas in our blogs for incorporating these new tools in our classrooms and libraries.
The class also emphasized having fun as we explored, and the fun factor is certainly part of Web 2.0. Comments and feedback from other students and instructors were helpful too.
I discovered tools that I will use in the library, and tools that I can share with teachers and students. I am concerned about students using some of these tools in my library because we went to a thin-client server last year, and it doesn't handle video applications very well.
I found the textbook to be useful. It gave us a good overview of the subject with plenty of examples. The articles and the appendix also listed many great sites and organizations we can go to for further information.
The tools that I am most excited about are VoiceThread and del.ici.ous. These will be the first two tools that I present to our staff, and I can hardly wait to see if teachers like them as much as I do.
I am glad that I took the time to complete the 23 Things this summer. Thank you instructors and fellow students.
Sonic Shade/robert

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm so glad you joined us for this introduction of Web 2.0 in Alaska. Your input will be valuable to us all and I look forward to seeing how you use the tools in your library and at your school. We hope to have a LMS wiki soon and even spend a day of professional development on wikis in September.